Skip to content

i’m a strange bird

June 12, 2009

I’m having a really crappy day. And I’m beginning to think I’m going to give up on the manuscript. Or at least the June 15 deadline I’d set. And the festival at the river this evening, which I’d really been looking forward to, was a bust.

I’m having anxiety on an astronomical scale.

And so it’s some tiny, happy mystery that this blog post over at Harriet: A blog from the Poetry Foundation has brought me momentary calm. Do you remember diagramming sentences?

I was in sixth grade. Mr. Russell’s English class. It was sheer delight. Of course, most students hated it. It was one of the early confirmations that I was a strange bird, a bit of a dork. But I loved it. And I hate to admit, but I still fantasize about diagramming sentences. And here, in the middle of me preparing to give up on lots of things — including all things language- and communication-related — is a blog post about diagramming sentences. Ahhhhhh. So sweet …

About these ads
9 Comments
  1. June 12, 2009 9:59 pm

And while I’m complaining — and oh, boy, am I complaining — I’m extremely jealous about Mark Doty’s Zoo Project. Here’s a bit about it: http://markdoty.blogspot.com/2009/06/what-immortal-hand-or-eye.html

So wonderful!

2. June 13, 2009 10:31 am

well, i just answered my own questions! (sent you an email) although i don’t know if today is the 12th or the 13th… still sorry you’re having a bad day. or had a bad day. i think i liked diagramming sentences, too! birds of a feather…

3. June 13, 2009 2:49 pm

i am feeling a bit better about things today. i have done my mommy duties for the day and since it involved lots and lots of sun (which is not my friend), i may have earned some private time for me and the manuscript. :)

4. June 14, 2009 12:45 am

I wish you would have been with me and Sport on a non-sun hike. We coulda talked about a lot of nerdy things and LOVED it.

5. June 14, 2009 12:46 am

(Don’t give up.)

6. June 14, 2009 9:51 am

I don’t think I’ve ever diagrammed a sentence and I would have loved it. The Monk poem was divine. And certainly no giving up allowed…………..xo

7. Michelle permalink
    June 14, 2009 10:59 am

I hope you’re feeling much, much better by the time you read this. Be kind to yourself. You deserve it x

8. June 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Loved diagramming sentences in middle school.

Don’t give up on the manuscript. You can do it. You just have to push through it. No way out but through.

Feel better.

Trackbacks

1. which ship? the ship of my dreams, that’s which ship! « carolee sherwood

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 38 other followers