Skip to content

WTF?! and other proclamations

February 15, 2010

I am jealous that the groundhog gets to go back to bed when he sees his shadow. I have been seeing my own shadow for weeks now, and I have no choice but to face her. Yes, I know that Ground Hog’s Day was two weeks ago. Yes, I know that in internet time, that is eras and eras ago. We’re all just going to have to put our big girl panties on and deal with it. We’re plowing through the shadow forces (code for big personal drama, as well as petty, small things like “call insurance company”) now and hope to be on top of things by 2015. ish.

///

WTF?!

///

I am over-committed. This is the public part of my life: Hudson Valley Writers Guild Co-President, Ouroboros Review co-editor, Read Write Poem manager, Poets Quarterly reviewer, Zumba instructor (4-7 classes per week) and webmaster for an expressive arts site. This is not to toot my horn. This is to say: I am insane.

I run and work with a personal trainer. I read, write, take classes, submit to journals and assemble manuscripts. I am attempting to be present in the literary scene in my community, including judging an upcoming high school recitation contest and attending open mics. I am trying to travel for writing conferences and self-created retreats. I am a wife and mother some of the time. I volunteer at my sons’ schools.

I have a large eating habit that requires my constant attention.

A different version of myself would have broken down crying — hysterics! — a month ago. This version of myself may be able to put off the big collapse for a couple more weeks.

///

OK. There was a sobbing episode a week ago. That’s how I roll.

///

I am behind in announcing my recent publications here, though I have been bragging about them on Facebook (a hobby I need to kick). (I need to kick the Facebook, not the bragging. Bragging is not yet a habit.) Just before the first of the year, I had a poem in Glass, and most recently, two poems in Hobble Creek Review.

I have work forthcoming in a couple of other journals, as well, and I’ll let you know when they are released.

///

I continue to be delighted by the presence of my friends and my poet friends. Thank you. Thank you.

///

As though to prove my own insanity, in the middle of all this, I changed — entirely — my method for keeping track of poems. And now I’m in awe of it and afraid of it. And I’m struggling to avoid reverting to my old system.

///

Davin saw pairs figure skating last night and said, “Why is this an Olympic sport?” I love the figure skating. They are without a doubt athletes. But I enjoyed his comment just the same. I enjoyed his comment more, for example, than I enjoyed his comment when he opened the Valentine’s Day card my mother-in-law handed him: “Really, Grandma? Just $10?”

///

I am going to be the featured reader at an open mic — Poets Speak Loud — one week from today. February 25. Lark Tavern. Albany, NY. 7 p.m. sign-up. Hosted by the Albany Poets. I’m excited and nervous (of course). It’s my first-ever feature. I accept good mojo any way you can send it.

///

I’m posting this with the Confession Tuesday posts. It’s been a long, long time since I hauled my ass to the confessional. Go to January’s blog to see what kind of naughtiness others are up to.

///

Yes, I know that today is Monday and not Tuesday.

15 Comments
  1. February 16, 2010 10:26 am

this brings me back! i loved your confessions. and i have to say, i love being reminded how parallel our lives are. yup.

• February 16, 2010 3:48 pm

two poets walk into a bar, and the handsome young man says, “are you sisters?”

• February 16, 2010 3:53 pm

wait. wait. i know this one…

• February 16, 2010 3:56 pm

i can hardly wait for the punchline to be revealed.

2. February 16, 2010 11:48 am

Great confessions!

Also, is there a button where I can subscribe to your blog? I’d love to. I might just have to cut & paste your address into my google reader, I’m just being lazy. ;-)

• February 16, 2010 3:50 pm

kelli, i *think* i just added it. just for you. :) top of right column — is that the right thing? i didn’t even know i was missing it. oh, boy.

• February 17, 2010 11:51 am

YEAH! Thank you! That’s exactly what I was looking for! I’m now subscribed! I appreciate that (and I’m sure other readers do to~)

Cheers to you!

3. February 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Oy! & it is great to read your confessions again. (Oy!)

Congrats on all the publication happiness. I’m pleased, pleased, ecstatic, for you.

(And I notice no mention of wine or beer or margaritas. Hmm?)

• February 16, 2010 3:51 pm

deb, it’s possible — an outside chance — that grown-up drinks have helped postpone the collapse. :)

• February 16, 2010 8:16 pm

I can tell you my goal of not drinking mid-week has been abandoned.

4. February 16, 2010 1:57 pm

You are amazing, all you do. I couldn’t begin to do half of it. (Plus, you do it all brilliantly, which is hardly fair!)

• February 16, 2010 3:52 pm

i mostly scrape by, but thank you.

5. February 16, 2010 4:38 pm

I love these two lines the most, probably because I relate so much to them!:

I have a large eating habit that requires my constant attention.

6. February 18, 2010 11:50 pm

I’m playing catch-up, but: you are my hero. Okay, one of my heroes. But still. I think you must have a clone.

And when you do zumba 4-7 times a week, by golly you’re either going to have an eating habit or die.

7. February 21, 2010 9:47 am

As one overcommitted person to another, I’m right there with you. But I suspect part of you likes it. I know I do. I complain, but I’d rather be busy than not. Breakdowns go with the territory.

So, the question becomes how can you do away or get help with the less important stuff? That’s what I’m trying to figure out now.

And, congrats on your publications. All of your hard work is paying off. Hope you are taking time to revel in your achievements.

WTF? I say FTW!

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 38 other followers