Skip to content

oh, dear

March 18, 2010

It has been exactly one month since I’ve written a poem.

One. Lonnnnggggg. Month.

What if I never write another poem?

You stood by me for weeks when the poemer’s been on the fritz, but what if the ol’ girl has just pooped out? What if she’s destined to rust out in the field, sinking slowly and unevenly as the air in the tires gives out one at a time? Kids’ feet crashing through the thinned-out floorboards during games of hide and seek? Possums (nasty things) nesting in the back seat?

Oh, boy. Oh, boy. Oh, boy.

About these ads
7 Comments
  1. March 18, 2010 2:07 pm

That scenario simply isn’t possible.

(Want to collab? I have an idea. I’ll send it to you anywho.)

2. March 18, 2010 2:48 pm

nope. not possible. i will save you. it’s my job. loyal sidekicks are good like that.

3. March 18, 2010 2:54 pm

I went 15 years at one point, so you’re still cool.

4. March 18, 2010 3:02 pm

So give yourself six months off, and do other parts of the being-a-poet job! Who said new poems have to pop out at regular intervals? You’re a poet, not a chicken.

The only way you’ll ever break your poemer (and even this will only be temporary) is by trying to make it produce poems when it’s in some other phase of its obscure but glorious work. Let it do its stuff. You just have to stand by and be ready to transcribe when it starts to quiver again.

5. March 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Do blog posts count? The one above may be the beginning of one, or the end of one. Mind you, I feel guilty because I’m not writing in my blog 3x a week, and wonder if it’s destined to join your possums.

6. March 21, 2010 11:26 am

If you don’t feel the onset of a new poem, perhaps turn to the poems that need revision. I know I have hundreds of “working poems” that need attention and I go to them to give myself a task that often leads to renewed creativity.

7. March 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Me too. Dang.

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 38 other followers