Skip to content

January 18, 2011
tags: , ,

REMOVED FOR EDITING.

///

for a river of stones.

///

Stone and self-portrait (both still in progress) from a dream last night. Carolee as jazz singer at a club. The fascinating thing about the dream was that I believed it all — the sex appeal, the confidence, the heat.

15 Comments
  1. January 18, 2011 12:49 pm

So, put the portrait where you will see it at least once a day and hold the belief. The portrait is amazing — ipad!!! And, I love the way you set up the mantras in the last two stanzas.
    m

• January 18, 2011 12:51 pm

re: the portrait — thank you! i haven’t figured out what to do with these (if anything) beyond have them on the web and in my digital photo files. i guess that is something to experiment with. at the very least, i bet i could get them printed and use them in collage …

re: the stone — i am unhappy it rhymes. :( but maybe i can use these seeds in a longer poem at some point.

• January 18, 2011 12:58 pm

I’m not a rhymer in my poetry and discourage it for new writers, but it works here. The rhyme adds strength to the points. I tried substituting synonyms, after reading your reply, and the lines don’t work, not in this form. In a longer poem where the lines are integrated, maybe the rhyme won’t matter.
        m

2. January 18, 2011 12:50 pm

I have dreams linger upon awakening, making me start then realize….no, was a dream.

(which all sounds like a poem to me….hhhmmmm…..)

3. January 18, 2011 1:29 pm

I believe. (the true response)

I like your painting(s) as much your poems Carolee, and these two here fit just right. I like this kind of dream-awake poem too, and this one specifically, very much. (this is the mundane comment part) And of rhyming poems (not my taste either, to do on purpose), but when it just lands this way, as here, no fret, no fuss, so be it, appropriate.

Best service we can be to dreams I think is let them be. They have their own purpose and shape. Don’t need any help from our waking selves. This poem, this painting… just fine as they are. (PS. Don’t comment so much I know, but I do read and listen all the same.)

• January 18, 2011 7:43 pm

hi, neil. it’s so good to see your comment. :)

i think your instinct to let dreams be is a good one. i like to think about the essence, the feeling i get from them, and leave the intricacies alone. and the essence/feeling of this one: wonderful!

4. January 18, 2011 1:38 pm

i can smell it off her

5. January 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Why not believe it? Sometimes experiences such as that offer a glimpse of another layer of ourselves. We are such complex and amazing creatures!

• January 18, 2011 7:43 pm

maybe there’s a piece of that dream carolee in me; you may be right. i can only hope!

6. January 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Image and poem both wonderful. (I sing that song at the piano!)

• January 18, 2011 7:44 pm

hi, kathleen! i sing the song in real life, too, though not with any conviction like i did in this dream!

7. January 18, 2011 10:00 pm

What Neil said. Great self-portrait!

8. January 19, 2011 1:15 am

Terrific self portrait. Gorgeous.

In defense of this rhyme in this poem: it fits the (torch) song perfectly.

9. January 19, 2011 6:56 am

Love. This.

On a related note, I dreamed last night that I had a bit part in a local production of some musical. Only, after opening night, we found out that our director was actually someone really famous in disguise, and that he had done this whole project to see if he could get great results from nobodies, and it had been broadcast live on national tv, and we were great.

And I was famous, and the next morning I went to breakfast with some people and were hounded by a mob of admirers, among them my current crush.

What I’m saying is, why not dream? And when you are the headliner at a jazz club, please let me (er, my dream persona) audition as an opening act. :)

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 38 other followers